Written by: Jovanna Orozco, MS, RDN, LDN
Every March, registered dietitians, nutritionists and food enthusiasts across the nation celebrate National Nutrition Month (NNM), a month dedicated to learning more about healthful food choices and developing positive habits around food and physical activity.
This March, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, the world’s largest group and best source for all things food and nutrition, has chosen the main message of “Personalize Your Plate.” The goal of this year’s NNM is to encourage us to enjoy all foods, take the time to plan our meals and prioritize our health and nutrition for a lifetime.
4 Ways to Celebrate National Nutrition Month in 2021:
1) Eat a variety of nutritious foods every day! Keeping the MyPlate guidelines in mind, think of ways that you can incorporate more food groups into your favorite meals including fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins like chicken and nuts, low-fat dairy products and water! Making the time to enjoy your food at mealtimes without distractions (like the TV or your phone) allows you to prioritize your health and increase your satisfaction with your foods!
2) Plan your meals! In a crazy, fast-paced world, it is easy to put our food habits on hold, reaching for fast and convenient meals throughout the day. Acknowledging the way in which these habits may decrease our health and well-being allows us to pave the way in making better food choices. Taking the time to plan your grocery list, being aware when purchasing dining or takeout, and planning your meals and snacks throughout the week will also help you prioritize your nutrition and health!
3) Learn new recipes to create tasty meals! It’s super easy to turn to the same, easy recipes we grew up with or the fastest ones we know how to make by heart. By incorporating the MyPlate guidelines and taking the time to plan your meals, this is a great way to try new recipes, flavors, and foods! Studies show that trying new recipes not only increases the variety and nutrient-dense foods in your diet, but also increases your happiness, self-esteem, and the relationships around you. Another great reason to get cooking and enjoying different types of foods!
4) Consult a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN)! The perfect way to prioritize your health and improve your relationship with food is to book an appointment with an Avance Care RDN today! Our dietitians are skilled in personalizing their nutrition advice just for you, to help you reach your nutrition goals, and help create a positive relationship around food. Our dietitians are skilled in diabetes prevention and management, weight management, chronic disease care, and much more!
Are you tired of dieting and ready to find a healthy and sustainable pattern that truly satisfies you?
- Key Messages and Icons from: https://www.eatright.org/food/resources/national-nutrition-month
- Farmer N, Touchton-Leonard K, Ross A. Psychosocial Benefits of Cooking Interventions: A Systematic Review. Health Educ Behav. 2018;45(2):167-180. doi:10.1177/1090198117736352
Jovanna Orozco is the registered dietitian for Avance Care’s North Durham location. Jovanna is a native Spanish speaker and enjoys cooking her cultural foods as well as trying new recipes. In her free time, Jovanna enjoys trying new restaurants, reading and exploring the great outdoors.