Written by: Erin Decker, MS, RDN, LDN, CDE
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Makes: 6 servings
½ cup oats
4 ounces cremini mushrooms (about 1 ½ cups)
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
½ cup finely chopped onion
½ cup finely chopped green bell pepper
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 ½ pounds lean ground beef
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
¼ teaspoon salt
1/3 tsp pepper
¼ cup ketchup
¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pulse oats in a food processor until coarsely ground. Transfer to a bowl.
- Pulse mushrooms in food processor until minced.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic and cook until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, until brown. Add vinegar and scrape up any browned bits. Cook until vinegar evaporates.
- Carefully add the mushroom mixtures to the oats, along with the beef, egg, mustard, Worcestershire, salt, and pepper. Mixture may still be hot. Mix until just combined.
- Brush an 8×4 inch loaf pan with olive oil or spray with cooking spray. Transfer meat to pan. Combine ketchup and cayenne pepper in a dish. Brush meatloaf with ketchup. Bake for about 1 hour, or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Let meatloaf cool in pan for about 10 minutes. Carefully slice into 6 pieces.
Serving Size: 1 slice
Calories: 255, Fat: 10g, Protein: 28g, Carbohydrates: 12g, Fiber: 2g, Sodium: 600mg
Fall will be here before we know it – what a perfect time for some comfort! The oats, mushrooms, and peppers add in some extra fiber and nutrients to this classic meatloaf. Use extra-lean ground beef to keep saturated fat low. I paired this with some roasted green beans and baby red potatoes.