Written by: Nadeen Risi, MS, RD, LDN
This quick, 30-minute dinner is the perfect meal for busy families and combines all of your nutrition in one bowl. Change up the variety of vegetables that go into it to create a meal that the whole family will love.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Makes: 5 servings
½ cup coconut aminos (use low-sodium soy sauce as an alternative)
½ cup water
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons natural creamy peanut butter
2 teaspoons corn starch
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
7 ounces rice noodles
1.5 pounds boneless & skinless chicken tenderloins, diced
2 bell peppers, sliced
½ yellow onion, sliced
4 cups chopped kale
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
Salt & pepper to taste
- Bring a medium pot, filled half-way with water, to a boil. Prep all other ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, whisk all the sauce ingredients together. Set aside.
- In the pot of boiling water, add the rice noodles and cook for 5 minutes or until al dente. Stir constantly so the noodles do not stick together.
- Save 1 cup of noodles’ water to use later and drain the rest. Rinse the noodles with cold water and set aside to finish draining completely.
- Pre-heat a large non-stick skillet on high heat and add the diced chicken. Cook and stir occasionally until gold brown – this can take approximately 10 minutes.
- Add 1/3 of the prepared sauce to the skillet with the chicken and stir for 1 to 2 minutes until the sauce thickens and coats the chicken. Set chicken and sauce aside.
- Rinse and dry the skillet and place back on high heat. Add the bell peppers and onions, cook until fragrant and starting to brown.
- Reduce heat to medium and add kale, chicken, rice noodles and remaining sauce. The sauce will start to thicken as it warms up and as it is stirred. If the rice noodles absorb too much sauce, then add a small amount of reserved noodle water (about 1 tablespoon at a time).
- Top with peanuts and red pepper flakes. Serve hot.
Serving Size: 1/5 of recipe
Calories: 479, Fat: 11.3g, Protein: 41.2g, Carbohydrates: 55.4g, Fiber: 4.6g, Sodium: 519mg